SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Problems with routing in version 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasb111

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:27 pm    
Post subject: Problems with routing in version 5

Hello,

I've just installed my first version 5 and ran into a problem I haven't seen before in version 4 (at least I don't think so).

The scenario is we've been running version 4 with three NIC's where the third NIC was attached to our internal network so that we could administer the FirstSpot from there.
I enabled the RDP listener on only the internal interface so that no access could be made from either Internet och the wireless side. This was tested on two installations and worked without problems.

I now installed a version 5 at a third site and found that I can access the RDP-server from the wireless side although I've bound it to the internal network. What I can see is that there seems to be some kind of routing between the wireless network-card and the internal network-card.

Is this something you're aware of and if so do you have a workaround for it ?

If you need any more information please let me know.

Best regards

Thomas Björklund
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:46 am    
Post subject:

Not too sure why. But please try the following things:

1) Make sure only the Private Network Interface (i.e. network card in the Hotspot side) is binded to your FirstHop driver. Check out readme.rtf -> Other issues -> point 9 for more information

2) Can you set your RDP-server to limit to certain client IP (reject IP from the wireless side)?

3) You can also take advantage of FirstSpot feature IP Block List (under Access Control). Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:58 am    
Post subject:

I've done the following things

1) Checked that firstspot driver was just bound to the private network which it was

2) I've set the RDP-connection to just use the internal network card.

3) The IP-address of the internal interface is in the IP-blocklist but this doesn't seem to work.

A test showed that if I'm not authenticated in FirstSpot then I can't access the internal network-card but as soon as I authenticate I can access it.

I'll set up a test environment and do some more testing as the installation is 600 kilometers away. I'll let you know if I find something more

regards

Thomas
thomasb111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:53 pm    
Post subject:

Hi,

I've solved the problem. At least I have a workaround that works.
I played around with filters in Routing and remote access and got it to work but as soon as I restarted FirstSpot or the machine the filters were removed by something.
I then med a dump from netsh of a working configuration and cut out the code adding the filter to the private network card. I then put tis in a batch-file which I call from the config.ini as the post-startup batch file.
This seems to work so I'll implement this at the customer site.

Best regards

Thomas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: