SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

IP Mapping & Port Forwarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asooneyeonig

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:37 am    
Post subject: IP Mapping & Port Forwarding

can these be used at the same time?
asooneyeonig

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 am    
Post subject:

or even better. can you use more than 2 cards.

for example, say i have 2k3 server and i use this software for 2 NICs for access control. and use other NICs with the server's Routing and Remote Access.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am    
Post subject:

1) You can use either "Real IP Address Mapping" or "Port Forwarding" at this moment. Note that if you have enough real IP for the client PC, you can just disable the NAT within FirstSpot completely (and then you don't need the above 2 features).

2) FirstSpot only supports 2 NIC configuration. One for the Hotspot side (i.e. Private Network Interface) and the other for the Internet side (i.e. Public Network Interface).

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:15 pm    
Post subject:

figured it was one or the other. thanks.

on the more NICs thing. i understand that the software only handles 2 of them. let me explain better the situation.

lets say i have 2 groups of PCs, A and B. group A i want to use the firstspot software to control internet access, use DHCP, the NAT and all the other features.

group B i want to run through the firstspot software but want to use the routing and remote access features of win 2k3. so i want to put more NICs in the server to handle these other routes. this group will get static IP addresses not in the same range as group A.

does that make more sense on what i am trying to do? and is this possible? to use one box as a router and firstspot server?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:57 pm    
Post subject:

You cannot really do that since FirstSpot itself uses Routing and Remote Access (RRAS). You can either:

1) use Client Pass-through feature so that some Client PC can access the Internet without authentication. In that case, group A & B will be in the same subnet.

or

2) put a second router in you network, and you assign group B's IP manually so that the default gateway is this second router. In that case, group A & B can be in the different subnet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: