SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Third Network Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiguelAG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:30 pm    
Post subject: Third Network Card

Hello,
as well as Private network card and Public one,, I wanted to use a third NIC for remote desktop conection to my server. However, I have not been able to get Firstspot working properly. If I disable the third NIC, I can get it working properly.

Please note that my Public NIC is properly connected to the router and my Private one is conected to a LAN switch. Is it not possible to get a third NIC just for remote access connections? Could the problem be that I have the Public NIC and my third NIC in the same subnet? Would it work if I have them in different subnets?

Thank you very much and best regards,

MiguelAG
zheron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm    
Post subject:

Having two NIC's in the same subnet is not a valid IP configuration. Windows will route simply route everything out the first NIC in the binding order. If you wanted to have a third NIC for the purposes of remote access you would have to have a separate management subnet.

As a more secure method I would suggest using a single port IP KVM instead. Plus it would probably be easier to implement.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 am    
Post subject:

Officially, we only support two nic configuration.

But you can try:

1) make sure our FirstHop driver and Patronsoft NAT driver are not bind to your 3rd network card (go to Network Connections -> Properties, uncheck FirstHop driver for your 3rd network card if necessary). Reboot Windows if you make any changes

2) do NOT set Default Gateway for this 3rd network card (otherwise it will confuse routing).

3) give this 3rd network card a unique IP range (compared to your other 2 nic cards).

Last edited by alan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
zheron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:48 pm    
Post subject:

Also, in addition to Alan's suggestions if your trying to accessing the third NIC from a machine in a subnet other than the one the NIC was on you would need to add a static route on the portal box using the route add command in DOS and make it persistent. So that the box knew to route that data out the proper network interface.
MiguelAG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:32 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you very much, alan and zheron,
not setting default gateway for this third interface gets the hotspot bridge working again, and even it does not matter if I have the third NIC in the same subnet than the public interface.

It seems that TCP/IP implementation in a host does not deal well with more than one NICs with the default gateway set. A good discussion about it can be foud here.

Great, thanks,

MiguelAG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: