SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

MAC as Username

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zheron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 am    
Post subject: MAC as Username

Where do I find the MAC as Username feature I have seen mentioned?

I really just want a splash page and don't want to make our users login, however, there are a number of features that it looks like I won't get if I use Anonymous login, such as bandwidth throttling, quota's, and the ability to track their useage.

Would MAC as username allow me to alleviate logins but still utilize all of these features?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 am    
Post subject:

First, Anonymous Option (with Shared Secret) supports Bandwidth Throttling and Data Transfer Counter. So it is really a subset of normal user attributes.

Yes, "Use MAC as Username" is just like a normal user, so it will have all the user attributes. When you click Users -> Add, you should be able to see the "Use MAC as Username" radio button.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:12 am    
Post subject:

Ah, OK I see it now, unfortunately I would have to know the MAC address first, which I don't. This is for a free public wifi system.

Also, I wouldn't want to use the shared secret option either. I would like no input required at all, other than clicking the OK button to accept our terms and conditions. Does throttling and quota work without the shared secret?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 am    
Post subject:

If you want Anonymous Option without Shared Secret, you can still use Bandwidth Throttling (Global Setting) and Data Transfer Quota (Global Setting). Both of the parameters are under Dispatcher category.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:11 pm    
Post subject:

I don't think this is working correctly. Am I doing something wrong?

I am converted to using MS SQL database and if I use the Visual Studio Manager to run a query against the database I can see that user with MAC address X has downloaded over 1GB of data in 24 hours but my global quota is set for 256MB.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:32 am    
Post subject:

Does it work if you the default dbf datasource (instead of MS SQL)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:26 pm    
Post subject:

Embarassed I have the throttling working fine now. I was looking at the bandwidth incorrectly (as kpbs instead of KBps).

As for the quota's I'm not sure if changing the DB will fix it, but with throttling working I think I'm content for the moment, so thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: