SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Reporting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goshenco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:00 pm    
Post subject: Reporting

Overall, I love how your application works.

I just REALLY need 1 more feature... Reporting.

It would be nice if in anonymous mode if the mac address was added to a persistent user database. The purpose being that I would like to track how many times the user has attached to the network, and how much they have downloaded. This would allow us to weed out "abusers" and black list their mac address.

Additionally, It would be nice to see how many unique users have attached to the system in a time period, and how much they have downloaded.

The purpose for these questions is that we have been asked to provide free WiFi access to our government buildings. I currently have no method of answering the questions from my commissioners which are always, "How many people are using the system, and how much are they using it."

If you have any ideas how I can log this information with programming an add-on please let me know. It is rather frustrating that there are no products on the market which do this feature.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:45 am    
Post subject:

The user log does work with Anonymous option. Go to Configuration Manager -> Authentication Server -> Anonymous option -> Enable shared secret -> click Manage -> click Show users log.

(Currently, the Show users log button will only appear when you enable "Shared Secret". To see the user log under Anonymous Option with "Shared Secret" disabled, just visit http://localhost:5787/userlog.php directly after you login to Configuration Manager.)

For the snapshot of the unique users that are currently using the system, you can go to Status tab.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:09 pm    
Post subject:

Actually, more reporting is a great idea. It would be nice to see a report that shows bandwidth usage on clients that have caps on their maximum bandwidth to see how close they are getting also.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 pm    
Post subject:

Rory, so you want a report that shows the Data Transfer quota remaining for all users? A simple example will be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:18 pm    
Post subject:

First Report - Date range should be user settable before report.

username ---- IP Address --- Quota Set ---- Total bytes used

Second Report - same thing but hourly range should be user settable. For example, 1 hour, 5 hours, etc...

username ---- IP Address --- Quota Set ---- Total bytes used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: