SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Newbie needing information comparing to IP3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
along5664

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 pm    
Post subject: Newbie needing information comparing to IP3

I currently have an IP3 gateway installed servicing approx 3k students, with apporx 500 concurrent users at any one time. They all have access codes to access the internet, and I also have several portals depending on what vlan they orginate from. Also in the mix I have businesses that get routable public ip. I have setup for tranisent users to pay via credit card for hourly,daily,monthly usage as they wish via paypal.

I do have bandwidth shaping for each user/business.

IP3 is no longer in business and I am looking for a possible replacement for the device. Please advise if the Patronsoft is a viable solution. Thanks for any help/commments anyone may provide.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:21 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot fits your needs quite well. In fact, we already have several IP3 users switch over to FirstSpot.

As for your specific requirements:

1) We support a feature called "Redirect PHP file" which allow you to specify individual login page for each network segment. You need to enable Multiple Network Segments for this case. Refer to chapter 3/4 of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

2) For public IP, you can use the "Real IP Address Mapping" feature. Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information

3) We support PayPal payment gateway. As for tracking models, we support a varieties of models such as access minutes, day-pass/month-pass which should fit your needs.

4) For bandwidth shaping, you can use FirstSpot "Bandwidth Throttling".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm    
Post subject:

Just got my box built with the 30 day eval. Explain to me how to map a public ip to a specific mac address. I have a business that has their own router/fw and that device currently gets a public ip from my ip3, by mapping the public ip to the mac address of the router/fw. This is a must have solution in order for me to use this product. Can I possibly just put the public ip on the router/fw at client site and then route them straight through the firstspot? Thanks for your help.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:21 am    
Post subject:

Yes, you can map the public ip on the router/fw straight to FirstSpot. Note that in this case, you need to turn off NAT within FirstSpot. You can further control what real IP individual client get by enabling DHCP "IP Address to MAC Address" mapping (under Configuration Manager -> DHCP).

Alternatively, you can have NAT enabled within FirstSpot and take advantage of FirstSpot "Real IP Address Mapping" feature. In this scenario, some client will get the real IP while other will be NATed. You can control whether individual user get real IP by setting the user attribute "Real IP address mapping" under Configuration Manager -> Users. Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:01 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. My situation will be I still need to have nat for the general user community, and then have the routable ip mapped to the business fw/router mac. Can this be done with your software?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 pm    
Post subject:

Yes. In that case, you can take advantage of our "Real IP Address Mapping" feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: