SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DHCP Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:36 pm    
Post subject: DHCP Problem

Good Morning,

I seem to be having problems with issuing of DHCP address on the Public side of the connection.

My topology is such:

A/P ----> Firstspot -----|----->Proxy----> Internet
..................................|
............................DHCP Server (203.x.x.x)
...................................|
.......................Wired & Trusted PCs

(diregard the .... dots) : There is a DHCP server on the public (WAN) side of firstspot is what this depicts.)

Everytime a wireless connection is established a 203.x address is allocated as a RAS connection to the Firstspot device from the DHCP server.

This makes no sense to me as Firstspot is giving DHCP out to the Wireless network and should be NAT'ing those addresses across to the 203.x subnet. It looks like the firstspot is passing thru the DHCP request (DHCP relaying) so that it gives out DHCP and then relaying that reques also.

Can I stop this as its chewing up all my realworld addresses???

thanks
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:57 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot DHCP server should only rely on Private network interface IP setting to determine what IPs it gives out. It only hands out IP in the Private Network Interface side (i.e. Hotspot side). If it is not the case, something wrong.

If you still have difficulty, please post your config.ini and dhcpservice.ini file (under DHCP subdirectory).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:43 pm    
Post subject: Scenario 3 DHCP problem

Scenario 3: with one router between AP and FIRSTSPOT - all Class C IP addresses

Client-->AP-->(192.168.1.1-dhcp relay to 192.168.0.1)ROUTER(192.168.0.5)-->(192.168.0.1, PRIVATE side )FIRSTSPOT, trial Ver.

The dhcp responses aren't getting back to my client. I can ping every interface FROM every interface in my network so I know routing is working properly. Also, other dhcp servers work fine like Win2003 server. Please note that I completed the pre-install steps in the readme file and double checked 3 times and my dhcp settings in FS should be right -- ROUTER IP: 192.168.1.1, MASK: 255.255.255.0 RETURN GW: 192.168.0.5. What am I missing? If this issue has already been explained in a previous post please provide the link. Thanks.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:22 am    
Post subject:

Your setting looks correct.

Note that followings:
1) Make sure the DHCP server in your AP and Router is turned off.

2) What router are you using? My rough guess is that there is problem in the DHCP relay since it is quite tricky to get it right.

3) If you still have problems, please post your config.ini file and the trace.txt file under dhcp subdirectory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: