SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Password Encryption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheekyChino

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:04 am    
Post subject: Password Encryption

Hi Everyone,

If i was to be encrypting passwords the way that the FirstSpot does it, what code would i have to be using to do it and where could i find this?

Would be doing this method as we would have our own method of creating users elsewhere, but will need the same method of encrypting passwords for the logins to work correctly.

Thanks
Chino
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:32 am    
Post subject:

You can take advantage of our Password Offloading feature (available in Advanced Edition only). Please check out our manual firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:49 am    
Post subject:

Ahhk i created my own function which basically accepts a password and encrypts it. Taking the code from the common_functions file....

Works greate ;). Still setting up/testing the system going good so far

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:49 am    
Post subject:

One error we are having is....

We have an external login page, and are posting the Username and Password to the fs_login.php file.

We get errors as follows:
Notice: Undefined variable: sess_patronsoft2 in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\fs_login.php on line 185

Notice: Undefined variable: sess_patronsoft2 in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\fs_login.php on line 265

Warning: com_invoke(): Invoke() failed: Type mismatch. Argument: 4 in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\fs_login.php on line 265
Invalid login! Please try again...

Is there something we are missing, or something technical that we should be working on including?

Chino
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 am    
Post subject:

see http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246 for a similar case.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:13 am    
Post subject:

Yeah no fix there though :(.

I have a seperate web page on a different server. I collect the users usernam and password. Do some checks of my own, then if the checks returned successfull, it displays a continue button. Clicking this will do a post for the username/password to be forwarded to the fs_login.php file to be processed. Doing so gives me the above errors, my regirect page is directed to a file on another website/server.

This redirect even effects normal logins if i wasn't to use the external login page i've created and just use the normal ones. I get the above errors.

I've tried bringing my external files, which do checks of my own for the username to the FS Server, and now i get errors such as follows:

Notice: Undefined variable: sess_patronsoft2 in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\fs_login.php on line 161

Notice: Undefined index: Username in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\index.php on line 7

Notice: Undefined index: login in c:\program files\firstspot\authserv\index.php on line 14

So any $_GET[], or $_POST[], or $_SESSION[] that i use comes up with an error saying that it is undefined......

I don't understand whats happening!

Chino
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:51 am    
Post subject:

It is a bit hard for us to troubleshoot for you after you customize the page.

Do you encounter problem when you are using standard FirstSpot login page?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 pm    
Post subject:

Actually, your help was quite usefull by linking me to that other post, didn't catch it at first but the #2 reply to it saying that make sure you be redirected to the login page and not go there directly.

I noticed that the extra text in the URL is used through the login script.

Seems to be working perfectly now ;) Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:00 am    
Post subject:

"You can take advantage of our Password Offloading feature (available in Advanced Edition only). Please check out our manual firstspot_guide.pdf for details."

If I am to be creating the passwords on a seperate server, other then the FirstSpot server. What files would i need to bring over to make sure Password Encryption is done the same?

Or is this rather not possible?

Either way, what would be the EASIEST way to encrypt a "Password" the same as FirstSpot would and from another web server not able to access the FirstSpot files directly.

Chino
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:43 am    
Post subject:

You need a exe that will encrypt the password and then output the result to the "standard output" (much like encrypt_pwd.exe, note that the output must be without linefeed).

Then you need to change the Password Offloading setting in Configuration Manager to point to that exe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: