SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DNS&DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vico

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:04 am    
Post subject: DNS&DHCP

Hi to all, I've downloaded Firstspot trial and I like it very much.
I'd like to know if it' possible to use DNS and DHCP service provided with Windows 2003 rather then that provided with FirstSpot. I was able to use Microsoft DHCP service, but if I disable bind service, then the FirstSpot service fails to start...
Any ideas/suggestions?
TIA
Vico
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 pm    
Post subject:

Sorry this won't work since FirstSpot DNS server will conflict with Windows Server 2003 DNS server. Note that you have to use FirstSpot DNS in order to use Instant Keywords feature.

You might want to setup the alternative DNS server in another machine.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:49 am    
Post subject:

You didn't answer the second part of the question (i want to know that to). Can we use Win2003 DHCP instead. As far as turning off Win2003 DNS MS recommends you shouldn't. It does DNS for the local LAN too then forwards requests to your ISP (so its a DNS cache basically) plus if you have Active Directory installed you have to have MS DNS too. I think I got that right....

Can we disable the DNS/DHCP in FirstSpot and use Microsoft? Will the software break? If we can't can you tell us what to do or point us to docs telling us what to do?

Many, many thanks for your help and time!! :-D
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:58 am    
Post subject:

(Correction. There are workarounds to use Windows DHCP and DNS.)

Here are the steps to use Windows DNS and DHCP server (instead of FirstSpot DNS and DHCP server):

1) Set the Windows DNS and DHCP Server Startup Type to Manual and Status to Stop

2) Install FirstSpot and reboot Windows

3) Disable FirstSpot DHCP server under DHCP tab in the FirstSpot Configuration Manager

4) Create a new batch file called "script.cmd" under firstspot directory and copy and paste the following command into the file:

net stop named && net start DNS

(where DNS is the name of the Windows DNS server)

5) Enter the path of the above file in "Path & filename for post-startup batch file" under Dispatcher tab. Specify the above batch file will make FirstSpot to stop FirstSpot DNS and then start Windows DNS as the last step of FirstSpot startup sequence. The format should be “[drive]:\[path]\[filename]”

6) Set Windows DHCP Server Startup Type to Automatic and start it.

7) Start FirstSpot

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:21 am    
Post subject:

Thank you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: