SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

recommended access points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlief

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:22 am    
Post subject: recommended access points

I need to Wifi up a large space - 4500sqm and 1700 sqm in two halls. I think I can manage with 2-4 24dba units. But I need simply to know what type you recommend what protocol - - I haven't yet worked out the difference between the WLAN and non WLAN APs. But I am a fast learner!

Can they be bridge and access points simulataneously to avoid long cables?

What should I be looking for in the spec for a AP?

Are there any problems to consider about the channels they use and such like? I have been told that with more than three APs they can interfere with each other?

Charlie
humphrey22

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:25 am    
Post subject:

Guess the FirstSpot team either does not or can not recommend to us Access Points or Routers. I think we all would love to deploy very affordable equipment where possible.

It would be helpful if the FirstSpot team gave us or put on the web a list of hardware so we could pick and choose. Also the users could look after themselves and start a thread of hardware that works.

Just a thought....
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:05 am    
Post subject:

1) For AP, we are completely neutral. See our FAQ at http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/faq.php for details.

2) For routers that used in Scenerio 3 : Centralized Network Topology, there are 2 cases:

(i) If the hotspot owner has control on the Internet path, all he needs is a router that can turn off NAT and has DHCP relay. See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702 for a similar discussion

(ii) Otherwise, the hotspot owner needs a VPN router that supports non-split tunnel (in additional to the requirements in (i) ). See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592 for a similar discussion

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:09 pm    
Post subject: without mentioning a brand...

I am not really asking for a brand, but a specification. I think these two things are very different so if anyone can help with a specification without mentioning a brand I would be most grateful.
humphrey22

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:12 pm    
Post subject:

Thats a good point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: