SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Is this configuration too simple?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlief

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:16 am    
Post subject: Is this configuration too simple?

The convention centre I am working on has about 100 RJ45s around the building. Although the hubs/routers have yet to arrive, I am assuming that they will and someone (not my company) is going to wire it all up so there is (or could be) a single feed from a broadband providor branching out to each RJ45. My job is to make internet access pay as you go instead of free.

I am intending to put the Firstspot server between the broadband and the (first) hub/router.

For the WiFi I then intend to take my AP's, four of them, wander off and plug them straight into any of the 100 RJ45's around the building and expect it to er...work! I expect to be able to pick 'em up and move them somewhere else to get the best signal. I also expect any computer plugged into any of the 100 RJ45's to be confronted with the Firstspot logon screen when they try to access the internet from it.

Is that too simple? What have I missed?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 am    
Post subject:

Couple of points to note:

1) you need to put FirstSpot between your hub/switch and Internet connection. Like

RJ45-> Hub-> FirstSpot -> Internet

2) For AP, make sure the WAN port is not used. Also, you need to turn off DHCP server in the AP. Refer to firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: