SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

windows server 2003, or windows XP pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:13 am    
Post subject: windows server 2003, or windows XP pro

two questions:

i'd like to know what features of the first spot computer will make the hot spot run faster or slower. i assume processer speed and memory. how much of each is needed to keep things running fast.

operating system? can i run firstspot on a computer running windows server OS? if so, will windows require CALs for each computer that connects to the internet via the first spot "server". are there advantages/disadvantages to running first spot on a true server, vs. on a desktop running xp or win2k?
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:09 am    
Post subject:

1. You're right - memory and processor speed; while memeory weights more. Depending your user load; it's sometimes hard to give a simple formula for sizing.

2. FirstSpot runs pretty much the same on Windows client and server platforms. The decision point is on whether you want the capabilities provided by the server OS to help you in managing the machine as a Window server box. Although I'm not authoritative enough to say, I don't think you need to pay CAL for FirstSpot users accessing a Window server box as all they take are TCP/IP sessions, not any Windows service (printing, file sharing, etc) is used. Cross-check this with a MS sales-rep (that you trust) :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: