SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

More detailed bandwidth throttling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:49 am    
Post subject: More detailed bandwidth throttling

Hello team support,

I'm testing your release 3.1.4 (latest) of Firstspot to give Internet access to a community. That community have a WiFi network. I'm concerned about the bandwidth and the use that the users made of it.
I have installed FirstSpot in my lab and set up "Bandwidth throttling" in "Dispatcher" to custom settings (Upload:40, Download:100).
I see that Firstspot give that to every user, an not to the whole private network. Is this the normal behavior? If I set up 50 users in a network with a 3Mbps DSL trunk to the Internet and configure the throttle in Dispatcher setting to -> Upload: 375Kbytes/s - Download: 375Kbytes; does the firstspot give access to every user at this speed or maybe oversubscribed users cannot access to the Internet?

Thanks for your attention.
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:54 am    
Post subject: About another types of traffic

Firstpot throttle only HTTP an FTP traffic, or does it throttle all traffics (like p2p, SNA, etc.)?

Thanks again.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:09 am    
Post subject:

1) Bandwidth Throttling is that maximum bandwidth a particular user can get. It is used to prevent bandwidth abuse like P2P.

2) FirstSpot will throttling all applications. The bandwidth throttling value is the total traffic for all applications combined.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:26 am    
Post subject: Bandwidth oversubscribed

Thanks Alan, but what happens if all users have the same throttle but they oversubscribed? Does Firstspot distribute the available bandwidth equitably to each user?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:38 am    
Post subject:

The current v3 does not have the kind of bandwidth redistribution you described.

However, the upcoming v4 will have QoS support (on port level), which will be useful for service like VoIP that needs minimum level of speed for it to function properly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:49 am    
Post subject:

When will be available FirstSpot v4? Is there scheduled?

Thank you, Alan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: