SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Central Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutting Edge Wireless Inc

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:28 am    
Post subject: Central Server?

I am trying to make Wireless APs act like NoCat Auth does. Meaning when a wireless Client (From off site Hotspot) joins and tries to access the internet they will have to first Register or Login.

CLIENT---AP(FIRST SPOT SPLASH PAGE ON AP POINTING TO MY SERVER HOSTING FIRST SPOT)---Back to Client Hotspot for internet?

I have done alot of reading in the forum and I see that the use of a VPN setup is what I am looking like I need. I would like to be able to use modified Router Firmware to point them to us rather than a VPN router + AP for the client.

Go here to see the splash page. [url removed]

BTW I have purchased Advanced First Spot V3. Is it possible for me to install Copies of My software and key on multiple machines? And then make them communicate with a central server?
Thank you.
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:51 am    
Post subject:

Technically, you can install multiple FirstSpot and have them talk to the same user database.

License-wise, every single machine having FirstSpot installed will need a separate license purchased.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:36 am    
Post subject: TY

What are the chances of seeing First Spot modify Router firmware to point all outgoing traffic to central server?

I also need to know if there is a seperate CD for the actual Advanced software or is it just the trial software with key?

On scenario 3 with vpn routers......

A simple pass through is not enough of a VPN i take it. I have been trying for days. Rite down to setting up a VPN in windows that I can connect to offsite but no splash page. I am able to connect to VPN host but nothing after that. My connection gets suspended while conected to vpn. Am I going in the right direction with this?

this is my setup:

Modem--Router--:

--Wireless Router For prive connections
--First Spot PC Server---wireless AP to Public

The Main router allows DMZ to First Spot Server Line. I am still not able to connect to FS.
This is the error

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.31 Server at 24.39.253.156 Port 80

I am confused. This Error is when Disallow Scenario 2 in Config manager. Do I also need to put the clients ip and port in as a multiple network or is it something else I am missing?
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:21 am    
Post subject:

Our license key sent over will turn a trial version into a production version. We do not provide software on CD media.

For setting up scenario 3, frankly, it's not easy; it requires quite a bit of VPN data networking knowledge.

What VPN appliances are you using? Does it support non-split tunnel?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 am    
Post subject: VPN

TY

What VPN appliances are you using? Does it support non-split tunnel?

Linksys BEFSR41 V3

Connected to this is the PC FS Host/Server.
I have set this PC to be on a DMZ line.

For the public side of the FS Server I have a Linksys Wireless AP.

I think I may need a seperate VPN router?
My current router only allows pass through for:
IPSec Passthrough
PPPoE Passthrough
PPTP Passthrough
Cutting Edge Wireless Inc

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:12 am    
Post subject: TY

Thank You for the Quick Response!!
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:51 am    
Post subject:

I don't think the Linksys model is suitable to do the job, because it doesn't support non-split tunnel.

Please do a search on this forum and you'll find a few models that our cusotmers have successful experience on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:49 am    
Post subject: ZyXEL

ZyXEL Zywall 2 Built in VPN Server
ZyXEL Prestige 334W VPN router/firewall

I am just guessing now. Can I get a set of set of Detailed instructions on how to set this whole VPN Scenario 3 up? I have tried a few different things but do not seem to be getting anywhere. Is the VPN Server a bad idea?

Doing the search on Scenario 3 now.
TY
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:36 am    
Post subject:

The forum does contain some very useful hints. You may consider getting a VPN guy to do the job for you. For that part, it doesn't really involve knowledge on FirstSpot. You want the VPN server at each remote location to route ALL traffic over the VPN tunnel to the central location; so that it will be authenticated by FirstSpot (at the central location).

If you hit on a particular problem during your testing, feel free to let us know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:43 am    
Post subject: Supposed to be the VPN Guy, lol

The funny thing is thats supposed to be me. I have been able to setup a VPN in Windows 2k pro. That was pretty easy. I was even able to make a connection. Is it possible to use windows vpn on the server side then point client devices to it? I have to give this a few more shots and pokes before I throw the towel in.

Should I start a new VPN post see what I can get from forum peeps?
jason
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:56 am    
Post subject:

Implementing scenario3 using VPN:
http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/FirstSpot_Scenario_3_with_VPN.pdf

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:45 am    
Post subject: How does this sound?

I just want to be sure this is going in the right direction. I have read this entire forum just about. I dont want to be a pain but I need to be sure I have all the proper equipment.

At the server/central location.
2 IPs (1 Static 1 Dynamic)
ZyXEL 2 Router/VPN Server/Firewall
PC and 2 network cards (1 in 1 out) Hosting First Spot
Linksys router (Linux with 3 cards? and 3 subnets? these routers are on "Sveasoft firmware"

At the Client Site.
1 IP (Dynamic)
ZyXEL 2 Router/VPN Server/Firewall
Linksys WRT54G Router (Or should I use just an AP)

When you (Patronsoft) say fixed IP. This means Static IP correct? Is it possible to just use a dynamic IP from isp and a static ip from the router/switch/vpn?

Another question is being that I purchased FS Adv w/o the support........
If I had bought the support would FS have done the configurations for the VPN setup or would this still be on my end?

Stan
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:43 am    
Post subject:

I don't think ZyWall 2 will work since it does not support non-split tunnel. ZyWall 10 is the mimimum model you need. Please check with ZyXEL for more information.

If you don't purchase maintenance, you can post your question in the forum. Note that this is only a best-effort support channel and we highly recommend customers with high support demand to purchase maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:38 pm    
Post subject: Thank You

Will I need to get a Zywall 10 for each client or just the central server please?

I appologize for not getting the support package as well. I may need to look into getting a support contract as well.

If I were to get a T1 or T3 line would this make control and use of First Spot simpler? Currently I have 5-12 Clients that need to be connected through us. We hope to grow by providing "Cheaper" Wireless Connectivity.

Stan
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:29 am    
Post subject:

For each Hotspot site, you need one Zywall 10.

For the central server (sometimes known as VPN concentrator), you can use Zywall 10. You probably want to use some more sophisticated VPN router such as Cisco, Nortel or Linux though since it will serve several Hotspots.

See http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592 for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: